Saturday, January 02, 2010

"It Runs Beneath the Surface" by Simon Strantzas

This post is going to be a review of Simon Strantzas' story It Runs Beneath the Surface, which can be found in The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 20. If you read my introductory post, you will remember that I mentioned an encounter with a bonafide published author. That author was Mr. Simon Strantzas, who essentially called me out for the review I had given for his story The Other Village, which can be found in The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 19.

For the record, Simon Strantzas was perfectly right in questioning my review. I had written a sloppy analysis, and after I shelved my initial ire at being challenged, I realized that if I were to journey down the path of story review I should at least pay the respect of giving a thourough read.

Eventually, I will go back and re-review The Other Village, but not tonight.

Instead, here are my thoughts on It Runs Beneath the Surface, by Simon Strantzas.

I had only read two stories by Simon Strantzas before reading this one, but I am becoming more and more of a fan. Strantzas is skilled at painting a dark and bleak portrait, and those talents are on display again here. This story, concerning a man named Philip, left me mildly depressed.

On the surface (wordplay?), this tale seems to be about a man who has a gloomy job and travels a sad subway route through a dismal city. The story itself is not long, which makes it even more impressive that Strantzas was able to leave me with a cloud of sadness as I read the last line. I feel that this story was not at all about the man and his subway, but about all of us as we journey through life, fighting off all of the "shadowy" things and trying to stay afloat in the sea of uncertainty that life is.

Sometimes we win, and in those times the world seems bright and full of promise. But sometimes the shadows win, and what happens then? Do we fade away, or does some part of us forever linger on?

Memorable quote: "Just above the reddish stubble that outlined his cheeckbone he found the mark."

I wanted to put the last line of the story as the memorable quote, but that would just ruin it, now wouldn't it?

If you read this story, and want to know more about Simon Strantzas, go to www.strantzas.com and check out his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment