Friday, January 01, 2010

"Rest Stop" by Stephen King

I figure we may as well start with a story by one of, if not the, best horror writers of the modern day and age. For Christmas, I received a paperback copy of Stephen King's Just After Sunset and I have decided to crack it open for you tonight. No, this is not the first story in the book, and I realize that some of you short story lovers find it blasphemy to "bounce around"...but I think it's just fine.

Without further delay, my thoughts on "Rest Stop" by Stephen King.

This is a straightforward enough story about a writer (King seems to like writing about writers) who is pulling into a rest stop to relieve himself. The writer uses a pen name, and is questioning who exactly he is during the journey from his English professor life to his writer's retreat. Is he the meek teacher, or the daring and bold writer?

He has a chance to find out at the rest stop, where he happens upon a man (Lee) beating on a woman (Ellen) in the women's room. The story is short, so I cannot say much more without divulging what happens, but let's just say that our main man (Rick Hardin/John Dykstra) has a bit of a dilemma in deciding what to do.

Read the story, I doubt you will be disappointed with "who" takes charge.

Memorable quote: "Name, name, what's in a name?"

No comments:

Post a Comment